10
Jan

Spain’s Basque Rebels ETA Call ‘Permanent Truce’

The group said it was committed to a "lasting resolution" to its campaign

The Basque separatist group Eta has announced a permanent ceasefire in its fight for independence from Spain. In a statement sent to the media, the group said the truce would be “internationally verifiable”.

Eta’s campaign for independence for the Basque region has cost more than 800 lives since 1968 but it called a halt to armed attacks last year. The Spanish government has reacted cautiously to previous claims of a total ceasefire from the group. Eta said it was “time to act with historical responsibility”, so it was declaring “a permanent and general ceasefire which will be verifiable by the international community”.

“This is Eta’s firm commitment towards a process to achieve a lasting resolution and towards an end to the armed confrontation,” said the statement. There was no reference to demands from the Spanish government that the group also surrender their weapons before any negotiations can take place. Read the article.

Read ETA’s statement. Source: Diario El País – http://www.elpais.com 

Watch the video (in Spanish). Source: Diario El País – http://www.elpais.com

Related stories.

As published in www.bbc.co.uk on January 10, 2011.

Comments

No comments yet.

Leave a Comment

*

We use both our own and third-party cookies to enhance our services and to offer you the content that most suits your preferences by analysing your browsing habits. Your continued use of the site means that you accept these cookies. You may change your settings and obtain more information here. Accept