31
Jan

By Jamie Van Horne, IE Master in International Relations (MIR) Alumna.

Sitting in the Amsterdam airport I can’t help but reflect back on my time in Europe, it really feels like home here. The sights, sounds, and different languages, Euros on the price tags – everything about it makes me nostalgic for the amazing two years I spent in Spain.

But now I’m off on a new journey. After graduating from IE’s MIR program back in July, I was lucky enough to land a job with an amazing organization in Seattle called SeeYourImpact.org. It’s a small start-up nonprofit that aims to provide unique revenue streams for small organizations around the world that address basic human needs. Our technology is meant to allure donors who can really only give small amounts, but want to see where their money goes and know that they make a difference. 100% of all donations on SeeYourImpact are sent through, and we send stories back to donors about the lives they changed in about two weeks.

Right now, I’m headed to Kigali, Rwanda to visit two of our partner organizations.  Rwanda Girls Initiative is an amazing school for girls started by two Seattle women: rgi.seeyourimpact.org and Gardens for Health is an equally impressive organization making sustainable gardening accessible to HIV positive mothers: ghi.seeyourimpact.org. I also plan to visit other organizations that we hope to support in the future. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about Rwanda and what a beautiful and safe country it has become. For a nation that has suffered one of the greatest atrocities in human history, Rwanda is proving that leadership and education can pave the way to peace. That being said, the country still faces many challenges, most of all poverty and an extremely young population.

Well, I’m off to board the plane. Can’t wait to report back once I get there…thanks for reading! If you have any comments or suggestions as to what you’d like to hear about during my trip, please email me at Jamie@seeyourimpact.org. Thanks!

Jamie grew up in northern California. She attended Yale University where she earned a B.A. with honors in psychology and captained the Yale women’s basketball team. After Yale, Jamie moved to Madrid, Spain where she spent a year teaching and coaching at the American School before applying to IE.  She is a proud member of the MIR class of 2011. Jamie now lives in Seattle, WA and works for SeeYourImpact.org.

Arantza de Areilza January 31, 2012 - 11:27 am

Dear Jamie;

I wish you a most succesful experience in this great initiative!
Thank you for collaborating in IE’s IR blog and keep us posted on your career.
Best wishes,
Arantza de Areilza

Elena July 2, 2013 - 11:42 pm

Peculiar article, exactly what I was looking for.

sitio web July 18, 2013 - 2:47 pm

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both
equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very
happy I found this in my hunt for something relating to this.

sample anc January 29, 2014 - 11:37 am

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.I will
remember to bookmark your blog and will often come back someday.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a
nice holiday weekend!

spiritwest.ning.com February 1, 2014 - 5:46 pm

Good way of telling, and fastidious article to get data about my presentation subject, which i am going to convey in institution of higher education.