18
Dec

JapanJapan has announced a plan to increase defence spending and transform its military, in a move widely seen as aimed at China. But many on the left believe Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is using the threat from China to pursue his own nationalist dreams, reports the BBC’s Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo.

For a country that, according to its constitution, does not maintain any army, navy or air force, Japan spends an awful lot of money on defence. This year, it was about $60bn (£37bn, 44bn euros) or roughly the same as the UK or France. Of course, Japan does have a military – a large and modern one. But it was designed in the days of the Cold War to protect Japan against an invasion from the north, from Russia.

‘Stand up to China’

But over the last 10 years, China has transformed its military at an astonishing rate. Beijing’s defence budget has more than doubled to over $150bn a year.Today, China is launching new navy ships faster than any other country in the world. It is developing stealth fighter jets and drones, and of course it now has its own aircraft carrierRead more…

Published on December 17, 2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

billig a kasse February 1, 2014 - 5:37 am

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be
a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!